This blog features new additions to the Cyclofiend.com Galleries. If you want to know when the Current Classic, Singlespeed, Cyclocross or Working Bike Galleries receive updates, you can check back here, "follow" this blog by using the link below right, or subscribe to this blog's RSS feed.

Most of the time, I'll highlight one of the new entries from the batches - don't take that to mean it's better or the others are worse. It's just that when I went to post those entries, one caught my attention at that time and place.

This won't be my main venue for online nattering - ride reports, technical stuff and whatever tangents capture my brain will show up over on the Cyclofiend.com "Ramblings" blog, so you ought to wander over there. If you want to see what I've been writing about, there's a feed down at the bottom of this page which has the most recent posts from that blog.

If you have found your way here looking for things about Rivendell Bicycle Works (rivbike.com), I am the moderator of the RBW Owner's Bunch group over on google groups. That is a discussion of Rivendell bicycles and their products, but you can learn more about that here.


Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Six Pack O' Singlespeeds

Welcome to your Wednesday!

The Singlespeed Gallery seems to run such a wide gamut. It's always interesting to see what people's ingenuity and creativity, combined with a parts pile and a bit of spare time will produce. Obviously, there are purpose-built frames which are near and dear to my heart, but because my first was a project bike, my appreciation is firmly rooted in the DIY approach. And, as I've written before, resurrecting an old, disused frame is always an honorable task.

Plus, I always love to get bicycles submitted from outside the US. It does kind of blow my mind when I consider that someone on the other side of the globe visits the site, gets inspired by what they see, and then renders their own ride.

Which brings us to Nico's "Going Merry" -
Singlespeed Gallery #293

It's always interesting to see a theme evolve on a bike build. Whether the Green Oury
grips triggered the search for the other parts, or some quirk of retail display put them near enough so that the visual harmony was created, I like the cheery chromatic statement against the weather-worn and rust dotted frameset. (I'm also drawn to that crankset, which remains un-branded and alluring...)

The other cool thing is that this bike is enjoying the winter weather in Bologna, Italy. Makes me wish I'd started paying closer attention when bikes arrived from distant regions. Maybe I'll start keeping track now, and backfill the info as I get time.

So, Italy = 1



New additions to the Single Speed Gallery:
Isaac Enloe's Rivendell Quickbeam
Rocky B's Rivendell Quickbeam
Nicola Guglielmi's "Going Merry"
David Vega's Cannondale M600
David Vega's Salsa Cassaroll
Mark Elam's Bianchi Broadway



No comments: